Everyone in this page thinks that everyone else is being a little ridiculous.
Speaking of silly things, I have discovered that describing characters as though they were cats is an oddly satisfying experience.
See, it all started when Skysong made a comment on the last page, and for some reason the image of Una and Pakku popped in my head. And once I’d imagined SOME of the cast as cats…well…I naturally need to do that for MOST of the cast. I shared this on Facebook, but for those of you that don’t follow me there, here’s what I came up with:
- Mizha is the type that can’t decide if she wants to go outside, or inside, or outside, or inside, but she’d really appreciate it if you’d let her make up her mind. Skittish with strangers, but affectionate with people she knows. Maybe too affectionate. You didn’t need to DO anything with that lap for the next 24 hours, right? Or that keyboard. Or that newspaper…
- Tama knocks over all your stuff. And then he gives you that look. That smug look that says he knows EXACTLY what he did, but he’s going to play dumb anyway. “Ooops? Was that yours? Why don’t you put it back up here? I promise I won’t knock it down again. That’s right. Just right there. Now — Ooops? Hahaha. Silly me. Such butterpaws.” He especially likes things that are breakable. Also, you continuously find socks and other items go missing around him. Where these items go, you are never able to discover.
- Zhiro is a Manx cat that tends to be very suspicious of everyone’s intentions, but he’s exceptionally quiet and well mannered, and if you go on a walk, he’ll be more than happy to keep you company. He especially likes to sit quietly next to you on the couch, and if you pet him, he will be your loyal companion until the end of his days.
- Kali is a Himalayan huntress. No mouse or bird or bug is safe in her domain. Sometimes she leaps before she looks, or crashes into things she shouldn’t, but she always lands on her feet and, yes, she assures you, she meant to do that. A bit stand-offish at first, once you get to know her, she’s a real sweet-heart. She’ll even leave you special gifts of all the things she hunts down, because she’s generous that way.
- Pakku is an undersized black cat that should probably eat more. He likes confined spaces and avoids almost everyone. Occasionally you will come into a room that he has personally rearranged, but by what system you will have no idea. He especially fond of the “Arch, fluff, and run” maneuver when it comes to social interactions. Despite this, he is absolutely hungry for affection. Just…don’t touch him. He’d appreciate you listening to what he says, and responding appropriately to the different meowed instructions, far more that being pet.
- Una is a bright orange tabby that likes to mess with you. And the curtains. And everything BUT the scratching post, which she regarded as an affront to her freedom. Does she want a tummy rub, or to bite the crap out of you? Is she going to play with you, or claw the ever loving heck out of your leg? Does her meow indicate you should shower her with affection, or run like your life depends on it? Nobody knows, and she likes it that way.
- Lu is a beat up old British Shorthair who most of the time seems like a real sweetheart. Until he’s a complete psychopath. He’s really possessive of specific people. His behavior with strangers is utterly unpredictable. Except for kids. He’s an absolute angel with kids.
- Koruval is a Rex, who stares at you disapprovingly. At all times. He moves with a silent and somewhat stodgy dignity, and usually maintains an air of aloof detachment.
- And Milan is a REALLY UPTIGHT SIAMESE.
If you described your characters (or friends, or family members, or yourself…) as cats, what would they be like?
This week’s vlog is up! I start by sharing some of my personal doubts and struggles, get caught up in them, and then there’s a moment where you can actually see me realize I need to question my thinking & fears, and turn to face the little demon that had crept up on my shoulder. Kinda a cool moment for me to catch on film, seeing as a usually don’t get to see my own face when I hit an “ah ha!” moment. Patrons can watch this week’s video, and all my other weekly vlogs, for just $1 a month on Patreon!